For over 30 years, Bright Beginnings staff has helped thousands of children and their families break the cycle of intergenerational poverty and achieve their goals.
Please note, due to Covid-19 and related program impact, Bright Beginnings Inc. will not host onsite school tours.
To apply for the Head Start/Early Head Start program, please complete the online enrollment application. Priority is given to families currently experiencing homelessness as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act and the District of Columbia’s definition of children and families experiencing homelessness. Bright Beginnings, Inc. accepts children with disabilities, pregnant women experiencing homelessness and children who are in foster care.
Your application and supporting documents are required to process enrollment into the program. After submission, your application will be placed on a waitlist. Bright Beginnings will verify application, documentation and eligibility. Please feel free to contact Marcia Sandifer, Enrollment Coordinator at MSandifer@bbidc.org or via phone at 202-842-9090.
What You Need To Enroll
- A Completed Bright Beginnings, Inc. Enrollment application [click here to complete online]
- Long-form Birth Certificate for each child you are enrolling. For pregnant women, we will need proof of pregnancy such as documentation from your doctor or clinic.
- Proof of Residency: Proof of residency can include a letter from your shelter or transitional housing case manager stating that you are a resident or participant. We will also accept your Intake Packet from the Virginia Williams Resource Center (202) 724-5054. If you are living with a relative or friend, please provide a notarized letter from the lease/deed holder which indicates you and your dependents are occupants at their address. The notarized letter must be current and no older than 30 days.
- Proof of Income: Proof of income can include TANF, SSI, or unemployment benefits. You must provide documentation from the DC agency issuing the benefit on letter head. If you are employed full-time or part-time, you must provide 3 recent paystubs not older than 45 days. Paystubs must reflect DC State tax withholdings.
- Social Security cards for each child and parent applying to the program.
- Photo ID: Parent’s photo ID must be government issued (i.e. driver’s license, department of motor vehicle issued identification card, passport).
- Health Insurance Cards for each child enrolling in the program.
- DC Health Certificate showing the child’s current health and immunization information for each child.
- DC Dental Certificate for children ages 3 and older only. Must be current.
- Developmental screenings or evaluation completed is applicable. Bright Beginnings accepts children with disabilities or suspected disabilities. Parents or guardians are encouraged to provide information about their child’s specific disabilities so that their needs can be accommodated.
- OSSE DC Residency Verification Form for School Year 2021-22 for children enrolling in Head Start program ages 3 and 4 only. (Available Spring 2021)
- Child Care Subsidy Application: Complete the application onsite during intake on behalf of the child (ren) you are applying to enroll in the Bright Beginnings, Inc. Head Start/ Early Head Start program.